Sunday, April 29, 2012

4.29.12 [What do I know of You?]




I’m not a person prone to trust issues… I am a giver of second chances, and a believer in goodness. Lately in my life I have felt cynicism all over my life. You know… Always doubting people’s word, assuming the worst of others, just feeling like everything and everyone is in a giant conspiracy against me.

In this lovely three weeks of unemployment I’ve felt a range of things from panic to peace, expectation to disappointment, fear to indifference…  My prayers have been a mix of “God I trust You, I believe You have only good things for me…” along with some of the “What the heck God, where is my damn job?!” Then today I stopped procrastinating the event of actually looking at my bank account and seeing where I am financially. I did the math of what I have, what’s due when and determined that I will run out of money exactly on May 12th. Literal full-blown panic ensued.

I think in that moment of fear, Jesus looked down and stepped into the gap that was my unbelief…

I can look at the circumstances all day, I can drown in fear and anxiety and uncertainty. I can sit around feeling deserted and lost. I can struggle with depression and abandonment…

Or I can look at the facts.

“Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you”
Hebrews 13:5

 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?' ... your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
Matthew 6:31-32

And my God will supply all of my needs, according to His riches in glory, in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

Those three verses came tumbling into my heart, one after the other. . . I don’t know how to describe it. . . It’s like God is correcting me, but also loving me and promising to me that He is faithful, all in one. This is the mystery that is our God. He is goodness, but He is justice. He is the giver of freewill, but the supplier of our lives. He is Holy, but he is Grace. He is Everything. More than we can ask or think, more than our minds can imagine, more than our hearts can hold. The fact is that in His storehouses are riches beyond belief.

My father is the King of Nations, His wealth is untold, His riches are beyond measure and when Jesus sacrificed His life to redeem me, I became a joint heir with Christ. Do you understand what that means? It means that when we are redeemed we are able to come before God for anything, to pray with expectation!

He took the loaves and fishes packed into a child’s lunch and fed a multitude! He delivered a lamb into the wilderness at the time of Abraham’s great need! He didn’t allow the widow’s oil and flour to run dry during the Famine in Israel. He produced the disciples tax money out of the mouth of a fish! He told us that even the hairs on our heads are numbered!

A song that Pandora “randomly” selects like 10 times a day (seriously) is What Do I Know of Holy by Addison Road –

What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean
Are You fire, are You fury
Are You sacred, are You beautiful
What do I know, what do I know of Holy

Just letting the thoughts in my head appear on the screen puts this all into perspective. How dare I doubt Him?! The disciples were in the boat with Him, and they saw the storm and they panicked! I think of Jesus, sleeping through the turmoil, knowing that everything was okay… He said “Oh you of little faith!”
I don’t want to be a follower with little faith anymore. I want to know God’s promises, and I want to live oblivious to the storm, eyes fixed on Him.

<3 Emma



No comments:

Post a Comment